Sunday 22 February 2015

Vermicomposting... as an added improvement to the HDB!

Oh well, it's not like a 'direct' improvement to the home per-se but I was hoping that having more greens around the home will do some beautification, and improve the overall home well-being with a more 'fresh' and 'organic' feel to the overall household.

While struggling to get my greens up, I realized that fertilizer is so-so-very important to the well-being of the green!!! Without them, all my greens were dying left-right-center.

As such, what better way than 'growing' or 'cultivating' your own organic super fertilizer! Hopefully, this can also benefit and inspire more of my neighbors to activate their green-fingers at home too!

I followed a few blogs, and read about 10-15 pages of web-sites as part of my R&D, as such, I wouldn't say I am a "pro" yet, much more to learn.

In the next few entries, I will share with all of you readers on how I started, what were the mistakes I made and rectification to the process and stabilization as well.

Hopefully with the following entries, you'll be inspired to start your own organic journey of VermiComposting - yes, even in a small HDB apartment, with a baby, and a wife who is super-anti-creepy-crawlie.. :)


This is the end-product, I did a few improvement by adding another layer of 'water-moat', but I realized it's of no use and it's not the best way to keep the worms out.

My R&D Links that you might find helpful:
  1. More Information about Composting Worms
  2. More Information about the Theory behind Vermicomposting
  3. How worm casting is created
  4. Making your own bin, a DIY Guide, but I will also offer my version with my explanations
  5. Where to get the most important thing - The Worms (this is the most affordable starting point in the places that I have searched as of 2014-Oct. The most ideal is to go to the Singapore Gardening Forum and try to barter?)
  6. Another DIY Guide number 2
  7. Another DIY Guide number 3

Clarifications:
  1. My Goal is to have sufficient and possibly grow the bin to a level where I do not need to purchase fertilizer for my greens.
  2. I don't intend to multiply my bin size, nor single-bin concept as there is limited space.
  3. I plan to grow the quantity of blue-worms, in the event where it grows to significant numbers, I plan to either sell them at low price to neighbors or give them away.
  4. I want to minimize the space and effort taken to clean/maintain and utilize the process.
  5. I am not a serious anti-waste champion, in fact, I select my waste and feed them to the worm the past 4 months I have been doing it. So I am not really 'throwing all my waste' for them to compost yet...
  6. I started my project with 100g of composting worms (budget constraint), and keeping things low cost... as such, I doubt I can really discard all food and fruit wastes for the worms to clear on time before the other 'friends' of the community come visit and multiply.
  7. My goal is to keep a fuss-free, low-cost, easy to maintain  and conceal a green project that can fit in a HDB service yard without as many undesirables as possible. 

That's it! Let's go on with more posts in time to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment